FARTLEK ON TREADMILL: LOSE FAT AND IMPROVE PERFORMANCE
Running in winter is not always easy.
In winter, the most seasoned run in all weathers but as we do not all take pleasure in exposing ourselves to harsh climates, indoor alternatives are available to us.
The treadmill is the closest to outdoor running.
Despite what many people believe, using treadmills to train regularly has great benefits in terms of improving our performance and, in turn, helping to improve our body composition. Obviously, combining efficient training with a correct and adequate diet and rest will be the key to success to show off an excellent state of shape.
Today, “keep run world “weighs the pros and cons of using this machine to see how Fartlek on a treadmill can also help you achieve your goals as varied as losing weight or seeking performance.
By the end of this article you’ll learn:
- Improve your aerobic capacity by doing fartlek on a treadmill
- Advantages and Disadvantages to Using a Treadmill
- Example of fartlek treadmill routines
- Fartlek treadmill training
- How fartlek treadmill can Improves body composition
- And so much more…
IMPROVE AEROBIC CAPACITY: DO FARTLEK ON THE TREADMILL
We may be able to lift one and a half times our weight in the bench press, twice in the deadlift, or even weigh ourselves with half our weight to perform chin-ups, but, however, if we do not have our aerobic capacity trained we will never be complete. athletes.
One of the most effective ways to start “pumping” our heart muscle will be with the treadmill. Whatever our “fitness” level, we can start using the programs proposed by the coach or carry out a routine on our own if we already have a certain level.
It is easily possible to configure the applied intensity through the well-known “speed game” or Fartlek. This consists of planning in advance what our training will be, where we will have the possibility of adjusting, at our whim, the different levels of speed and recovery times.
Advantages to Using a Treadmill
- The treadmill is a relatively easy piece of exercise equipment to use
- Running on a treadmill generally burns calories faster than most other forms of in-home exercise, such as biking
- The treadmill has a predictable surface that is much easier to negotiate than sidewalks, curbs, or trails and the risk of tripping is reduced
- All aspects of the workout can be controlled by the user: speed, incline, warm-up period, cool-down period, and energy spend
Disadvantages to Using a Treadmill
- They can be expensive, with some models over $2000.
- The cushioned surface of the treadmill may still inflict too much of a jarring impact on the back or stress the hip, knee, and ankle joints. Testing the surface and rebound is critical.
- Like other equipment with computerized programs and motors, maintenance of treadmills usually requires a professional.
- They can take up a lot of space. The more sophisticated treadmills take up a fair amount of space (up to 36 inches wide by 72 inches long) and generally do not fold up.
EXAMPLE OF FARTLEK TREADMILL ROUTINES
Before starting any exercise it is necessary to maintain some warm-up guidelines so that our body, little by little, adapts to the new state. Going from rest to a high heart rate can be aggressive, so we always plan a warm-up beforehand.
A possible warm-up on a treadmill may consist of:
– Walk for 3 minutes at a low speed – Perform 5 sets of walking at low speed with a steep incline, 20 ”without holding onto the armrest, 40” holding on – 5min jogging – Perform 5 sets of 20 ”at a faster pace followed by 40” jogging- Walking at a low speed 3 minutes
After performing the actual work, that is, the part of the training focused on Fartlek, it is also advisable to perform a cool down . It would be the reverse of the warm-up, and it can consist of 5 minutes of light jogging.
The scheme would be:
1. Warming up
2. Effective work
Fartlek treadmill training
How to run
Slow jog for 5 minutes. 6 km / h, 7% incline
Run at 10 km / h, 1% incline
Slow down to 8 km / h, and run for 3 minutes
Accelerate to 12 km / h for 30 seconds
Slow down to 8 km / h, and run for 3 minutes
Repeat 3 minute / 30 second intervals up to 25 minutes
Run at 10 km / h for another mile and a half
Slow jog for 5 minutes.
EXAMPLE FOR A PERSON WHO IS JUST STARTING TO PERFORM FARTLEK:
Effective Work (Repeat 2 or 3 times):
- 6 sets of 10 “strong pace – 40” recovery pace ( 2min Soft pace )
- 4 sets of 20 “strong pace – 50” recovery pace ( 2min Soft pace )
- 2 sets of 30 “strong pace – 60” recovery pace ( 2min Soft pace )
- 1 set of 45 ”strong pace – 2min walking
EXAMPLE FOR A PERSON WITH GREATER ATHLETIC ABILITY:
a) Descending series 1: 2 (repeat 2 times):
60 ”strong pace – 30” recovery pace
40 ”strong pace – 20” recovery pace
20 “strong pace – 10” recovery pace
b) Ascending series 1: 1 ratio (repeat 4 times)
15 “strong pace – 15” recovery pace
30 “strong pace – 30” recovery pace
45 “strong pace – 45” recovery pace
As you can see, doing Fartlek on a treadmill can be a pleasant activity for everyone, being a magnificent complement to our training routine with loads.
IMPROVES BODY COMPOSITION
In order to deepen and improve our body composition, we can follow a calorie cycling strategy, where we increase carbohydrates and reduce fat on days of weight training, and do the opposite operation on days that we practice our Fartlek. In this way, we will promote fat loss on days of aerobic activity and we will gradually improve our aesthetic appearance.
As nutritional support, the incorporation of branched-chain amino acids and glutamine can be assessed just before and after this type of cardio training.
These amino acids play an important role in promoting three functions:
1. Reduce muscle breakdown: yes, even though we are doing cardio, there is a strong high-intensity component, and it involves compromising muscle mass.
2. Improve the hormonal environment: so that when we make successive meals, our response to protein synthesis is more favorable. This is due to L-leucine, whose properties make it an “activator of protein regeneration and construction”.
3. Saving glycogen: if we choose to carry out this type of training just after waking up (fasting), they will help us to give us an energy and performance boost.
Thinking of buying a treadmill? See my 1st top recommended treadmill for 2021